The Top Reasons we use Wintergreen in our DMSO gels
There are so many different ailments that have been alleviated with wintergreen, that it cannot be completely described in this short article. The main reason we started researching into the use of Wintergreen is its innate properties as an anti-inflammatory plant.
Medicines made from willow, birch and other salicylate-rich plants appear in clay tablets from ancient Sumer as well as the Ebers Papyrus from ancient Egypt.
In 1853, a chemist by the name of Charles Frédéric Gerhardt, compounded acetyl chloride with sodium salicylate to produce acetylsalicylic acid for the first time.
It was actually in 1899, when a German company named Bayer, started mass producing acetylsalicylic acid into tablets they deemed as Aspirin. The rest, as we say, is history.
For the purpose of this article, I am going to focus on those elements that are most desirable in our DMSO blended gels.
Notably; these are the most important factors in our decision to use wintergreen essential oil;
- Wintergreen has an innate ability to fight pain and swelling from inflammation. Using the chemical methyl salicylate, wintergreen is one of the best inflammation-fighting substances in the world.
- Wintergreen, as a “counterirritant”, applied to the skin, has the ability to reduce irritation caused by contact with contaminants. Such as Poison Oak, Stinging Nettle and the like.
- Nerve pain is diminished with the use of Wintergreen. Especially useful for the relief of sciatica pain, ovarian pain, menstrual cramps, and restless leg syndrome. All of which are directly associated with swelling. (Inflammation)
- Headaches are easily dispatched with the use of Wintergreen essential oil.
- Wintergreen absorbs well into the skin and acts as a “numbing agent” very similar to cortisone. This particular property is of great interest as a topical agent used as a gel with DMSO.
- Bone and tissue pain can be managed by properly apply Wintergreen oil. Using DMSO enhances the already potent pain relief properties.
- Stomach and gastrointestinal issues have been remedied for centuries with the use of Wintergreen oil.
- Wintergreen is a powerful agent in the fight against asthma and pleurisy.
- Gout has been a plaguing issue for our clients the world over. Wintergreen and DMSO together can actually alleviate gout pain.
Wintergreen was one of the very first essential oils we added to our Gels. Mainly because of the many health benefits that it brings to the table.
As a carrier chemical, DMSO can only enhance the many properties of wintergreen.